Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Great Gatsby Ball


 Welcome to our first date night out as parents..
{& even though it took some coaxing from Blake and pep talks from myself}
I'm so glad that we went, it was just a dream.
I love this sort of thing..

Blake's Optometry school puts on a big ball every year
{they refer to it as the "Eye Ball" ha.ha.. those eye doctors think they got jokes..}
& This year it was Great Gatsby themed.. and true to it's name it was quite the PARTY.



Although I have to be honest and say with our budget I was a little stressed about this event and finding outfits for it without spending.. oh.. anything.
So I feel like I have to share this part because what a blessing it was that everything seemed to fall into place and work out perfectly..
Would you believe it if I told you that my ensemble ended up costing 8 dollars!? I found a dress at Goodwill and bought some fabric and I sewed {yes HAND sewed.. who have I become..} the sleeves and bottom part of the dress! It definitely wasn't the most beautiful piece of work at the party but Blake was sweet and told me I was beautiful and they let us through the door.
So I don't think I could have asked for anything more..

I also just want to add this little bit for my memory.. I had this thought the other day as I was making Emery's skirt and headband for Easter..
{seriously I do not sew clothes-or really would even say I sewed hardly before this last summer when I wanted to make Emery a cute nursery}
That some how I honestly feel so grateful for this stage of our life where we are having to live on hardly anything, although it can be stressful and don't get me wrong I will be grateful when it's over-
 I feel like we have developed {slightly by force..but nevertheless} so many new talents.

But anyway bringing it back to the party.. voila my MIRACLE of a creation of a ruffled dress..
:)


 This was pretty much the only picture I got that wasn't of us and that you can kind of see some of our friends (how beautiful are they) and this extravagant party.
 I hadn't been to a dance in YEARS and I have to say that I was kind of in awe at just how CLASSY everything was.. that is definitely not a word that I would have used to describe all of my previous dance experiences.
But they fed us one high class meal complete with a silverware lesson from this good guy at the edge of this picture on what to do when they give you two million forks and spoons.
{someone that likes doing dishes much more than I do must have come up with this rule of etiquette}
And then after large amounts of awards, expensive prizes, and scholarships to some lucky souls.. 
We had the most fun dancing experience.

I know I have said something about Blake's phenomenal dance moves before.. but anyone who hasn't seen this man of mine dance before should probably put it on their bucket list.
I wasn't quite sure if he was going to bust them out at this fancy ball or not.. but I guess he knew that the public would be the better for it.
I think we all left that night with sore ribs from laughing so hard.



And maybe by next years ball we will get lucky and I will be able to figure out how to work a photo booth and better impress my date..
who can really say.


P.S In case you were wondering what Emery did on her big night out..



Blake's perfect cousin Missy ((luckily)) moved to San Antonio around the same time we did and was so sweet to love on our baby girl for a night! 
Even though Emery looks really amused that we left her to go party.. I think they had a lot of fun.
Thanks Missy for making our night possible, you are the greatest and we love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment