Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A Colorful City Community


I know I have said this probably a million times since we have gotten here.. 

& Although I TRULY am so grateful for our opportunity to be in San Antonio, that we both were accepted into the programs we have been dreaming about, and for progression in life..

Life really has been such an adjustment lately.

Blake's hard/busy schooling is about to do us in... & everything from city living.. city driving.. having to make all new friends and start all over.. being pregnant.. not having a full time job(s) [aka finding ourselves suddenly broke].. 

Are all things that have been just different all at once and that I have good days and definitely harder days with.. 

But THEN there are days [or a few hours in a day] where Blake gets to take a break from studying..

And I am reminded of the beautiful things in life.. and realize that all the things that matter are okay.

Luckily Saturday was one of those days..

Every October San Antonio has an annual Chalk it Up city celebration downtown!
And since I love a good [free] opportunity to get out and enjoy the liveliness of downtown, I have been looking forward to this colorful event for the last few weeks. 

Blake was really sweet and made sure to get everything done and plan things so that we could go, and even convinced our new friends [and their puppy Oliver] that it would be fun to spend the afternoon out.. 

{I concluded that if you move somewhere new and want to make friends I guess you just need to have a dog.. Oliver was quite the hit with passer-by's.. who'd of known it was as simple as that}


Despite all of my whining.. we really have been blessed to meet some really wonderful people.
Like this Pinata Man for example.. 

We really lucked out with that guy..

[Just kidddding.. This is Logan and Abby.. our new fun ambitious friends all the way from Iowa. They are BOTH in Optometry school with Blake and have been such a blessing to us, I think they keep Blake going through the week.]


And through out the afternoon I think we were all continually amazed by these drawing people in the streets, these aren't even featured artists.. 
They just closed off different sections for everyone in the public to chalk up if they wanted to and you would have thought this was happening in the middle of an art school.
[Maybe it was.. who knows where I am half of the time..]


     




  
And then there was us..

Not only were our drawings just slightly less impressive than those other previously shown drawings but after we started drawing we realized that we were practically standing on top of this sign.
We decided to just roll with it at that point..

I really love art.. and in fact I enjoy making art and things beautiful.. but drawing is just one of those talents that I really appreciate in other people.





And boy was there so much to appreciate this afternoon..






I also concluded they must have special chalk.. because not once have my chalk pictures with chalk from the dollar store been this bright and colorful.. or beautiful.
So once I find me some special {magical} chalk then maybe we will be able to redeem ourselves and feel worthy of hanging out with these down town chalk artists. 



Something else fun about the city.. besides for the fact that they hold these events by the riverwalk {{because that's beautiful}} is how many people come to these community events!

I love the hustle and bustle and just the liveliness of  everything.. I love how often they have fun things going on if you look for them.. and I love that we get to be a part of it.


 

Maybe there is hope for us yet and we can become big city people.. 

I do know that I can't wait to take our kids to things like this... all of the laughter and the families were so fun.
{However we probably should practice our drawing before we bring them back so at least we can impress someone.. }
:) 


I just wanted to end my post today with a quote that my Grandma shared from President Hinckley that really hit home for me with everything going on.. I hope it can uplift your day like it did mine.

"Don't be gloomy. Do not dwell on unkind things.Stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. Even if you are not happy, put a smile on your face.'Accentuate the positive,' Look a little deeper for the good. Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, with great and strong purpose in your heart. Love life."

-Gordon B. Hinckley

No comments:

Post a Comment