Thursday, January 20, 2011

"Expecting life to treat you well because you are a good person, is like expecting an angry bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Shari R. Barr

I got an Internship! I got an Internship! I got an Internship!!
And if that weren't enough to completely make my day... I got it at the Family Crisis Center! :) :) :)
For those of you who don't know, I've wanted to get an internship at the Family Crisis Center ever since I knew I had to get an internship.
This internship is actually a business internship, but since this is more the field I want to go in to, the wonderful supervisor said that they could make my internship work for what I needed.. and then started mentioning what I would do when I had to my Psychology one.. (which I'm hoping means I get to come back!)
So yesterday was my first day.. ha nope they don't waste any time getting started (kind of since I got a late start looking) and it really is everything I could ever hope for.
I was the first one there! & I was very close to being on time! ha A dream come true.. A job where no one cares if you're there a little late! (to all of my teachers who put me through so much grief, and detention, singing in front of the class, standing, and so much more just for being a littttle tardy.. I was just preparing for my future job!) & then I learned a little about how the business was run, payroll, grants, and things of that sort for my first morning. It was amazing to see all of what I learned in class actually being put in action.




So its decided. No more college.. I'm just going to stay at the Family Crisis Center.. show up to work a few minutes late.. help people everyday.. and love my life. <3
jk.. I wish. Don't tell my parents I was joking like that! They will die.. haha I enjoy my education.
But did I mention I was getting paid to learn about my dream job!? Yeah.. my life is complete.


Another thing that I am deeming "blog worthy" is a meditation seminar I went to this afternoon.. it was amazing.
<3

Breathe. Be Still. & Let Go.

"Meditation is the language of the soul. Meditation is a form of prayer. We can say prayers without having any spiritual response. Meditation is one of the most secret, most sacred doors through which we pass into the presence of the Lord." -Presiden David O McKay



Physical Benefits of Meditating
Decreases stress-related cortisol ( google cortisol if you don't know what it is!)
Strengthens Immune System
Helps with numerous psychological disorders [depression, insomnia, fibromialgia, & alot more those are just what caught my attention]
Deep Rest- Measured by lowered metabolic rate and heart rate
Decrease in High Blood Pressure
Lower Cholestral
Easier flow of air to lungs- better breathing (great benefit to asthma patients)
Higher levels of DHEAS (DHEAS is correlated to aging.. so more youthfullness! Slower aging.)


So after I heard all of that good stuff.. I said count me in! How do you do it?
There are lots of types of meditation so here are a couple I learned about...
Concentration Meditation
focus on peace & stillness of mind
still still and focus on an object such as your breathing, mountain scences, the beach.. and just let yourself relax. Thoughts will come just try not to focus in on them.. dismiss them and let yourself be full of peace.
Mindfulness Meditation
emphasizes insight through awareness of the present moment
completely focus on a present experience such as your thoughts, why you're thinking that way, or how your body is feeling, or just take in the things around you.. this can also be when you REALLY listen to a conversation with someone.
Think of the difference between really experiencing events and just going through the motions.
[This is the same idea as the Budha's meditation, kind of, Budha means welcoming the moment]


The therapist said that the problem with meditation is that.. "we have to do it!" don't let yourself think you're too busy!
The purpose of meditation is to be able to bring spontanous thoughts unter better control and obtain a better spiritual well being. By meditating you are able to deeper concentrate and learn and achieve "equanimity" (1- eveness of mind especially under stress, 2- Right Disposition-Balance)
So I hope that inspired someone like it did me and you will try it with me! :)
Hope you're all having a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment